Summer of the Shining Squirrels PART 2
Tuesday, June 07, 2005
 
The Return of the Moj
Hey everyone! I feel like such a slacker over here reading up on your lives, filled with shorted out sputtering guns and dancing careers and cracked-out dreams and crazy hair and swinging over Eastern European capitals and making children's lives safe and full of love... My big event of recent days??? I was eavesdropping on the Arabic conversations in the courtyard of my dorm (new late-night activity for me in the crazy town that is Ferrara), and one of them offered another one a walnut!!! I about flipped out when I heard the word 'jowz'--I was like, 'where's my walnut!?' I mean, they offered me some, but it's just not the same as walnutEE. Yeah, try explaining that to native speakers....
But I get to see the one, the only, walnutee tomorrow! That's right, the Moj is on the move! Classes have been over for awhile now (as have exams--one of them I had a half-hour conversation with the professor about how cute this American consulate friend of his is and how my mom and I should go on this archaeological dig in Tuscany and how weird my profs here are--and I got a perfect! What the hell kind of education system is this?! I'm going to die next year. Except that Dan is planning to have a bar in his room and this summer I am getting some bartending experience--yes, I will be a bartender--so I can kinda work through next year in a alcohol-fueled daze...), and after a few weeks of nothing but sleeping and watching movies and eating and eating and eating (and don't feel bad, Devo--I feel like I'm going to pass out during the day even when I get 10 hours like I did last night!), it's time to get my ass in gear! Wow, that was a long sentence... Anyho.
So it's first to Poitiers to see the stomping grounds of my walnut. Then we'll head to Paris to meet up with Tom. Then my walnut leaves me, but I shall comfort myself with Prague, Rome, Florence, Ferrara, and a return to Sorrento! (we're going to see my man Adam and his great view over the Tyrrhenian, big stick! And his mom! Maybe this time that I bring MY mom, sparks will fly like those from your sputtering gun!).
I'm excited about these travels (even though sometimes the mere thought of being on the move that long makes me long for my bed. what is with the sleepiness!?), but, like Erin, I'm feeling schizo about returning home. There are times when I can't imagine ever leaving Ferrara. I really love this city and have loved my life here, but then there are times when I can't wait until I touch down July 4 and truly embrace my American-ness with all of my being (I have images of me just wrapping myself in an American flag and going to a BBQ to watch fireworks... barefoot!). It's a strange feeling.
Anyho, I probably won't be writing much for awhile as I'm traveling, but you are all in my thoughts and prayers, and I would appreciate any prayers you could spare for Erin, Tom, my mom, and me to have safe journeys over these next few weeks. I love you all with all my being!
--Yookie Cookie, over and out
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger