Summer of the Shining Squirrels PART 2
Monday, June 06, 2005
 
Devo's new problem
I promise I am not writing this to make you all jealous. I have somehow contracted a new disease, though, called oversleepitis. Seriously, friends, something is way wrong with me. I have gotten in the habit of sleeping 10 and more hours every single night. Sunday morning I had to set my alarm for the first time in two weeks to get up in time for church, which left me with 7.5 hours of sleep. I barely made it through the day, and in compensation, I woke up at 10 this morning after going to bed at 11:30. I disgust myself! I never used to be able to do this, and it's kind of frustrating. Even weirder are the dreams I've been having, like one about an organization called "Passion International" (surely a takeoff on Compassion, Int'l) which allowed bears who wanted to be humans to act as Santa Claus, and one where my best friend (no one I know in real life) had a fish tank full of mutated sea creatures, kind of like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles mixed with Picasso mixed with Finding Nemo. And trust me, there are no drugs involved.

When I finally drag myself out of bed, though, life is pretty good. I'm starting to get a bit of cabin fever these days. My sister finished school today, though, so I should have at least one other human around to keep me from going totally bonkers. I gave up on the room cleaning task of the last two weeks and have moved on to get-in-shape/get-a-job mode. I'm failing at both so far. I've found that I am no better at the self-disciplined exercise regimen than I am at doing devos every morning or writing papers well ahead of their deadline. I put it off and put it off and then the day is over and I *forgot* to work out. How does my brother do it? He will stop life at all costs to make sure he gets in at least 10 miles a day of running. I swear he is another species. Anyway, if I am going to do this dancer thing, I need to do more than take class every day. I need to do Pilates, and swim and bike and maybe even run...I need to stretch and stretch and stretch...dude, there is more to this than I bargained for when I said "no" to Teach for America!

I know I made the right decision, and I know God will eventually take me to a place where I know that I'm on the right track, but now I'm in a period of transition that has left me feeling a bit lost. I'm not sure what kind of job to look for, whether I should keep hanging around Wheaton at all, what my chances of success are in the dance world, and what part of the dance world to pursue. I don't know how long I should expect it to take me to get in shape, what exactly I hope to do if I do get into shape, or how that will fit into the bigger picture of my life. I have dreams, but I don't have anybody from the dance end backing me up or helping me out. Most of them look at me curiously wondering what this geezer is doing back at the studio, taking up space at the barre and pretending she can dance. I'm trying not to be too discouraged, but I wish I had a tangible goal to look forward to. I'll let you know how things go.

Oke doke - that's the Devo status - looking back it seems like oversleepitis is probably the least of my problems at the moment. I am learning about life, though, which is muy importante, and I am lucky enough to have a family who will let me mooch for a while while I do so. AMEN!
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger